Monday, June 30, 2014

Salmon, Kale, and Mascarpone Spaghetti by Heather

I haven't gone grocery shopping yet this week, so this dish came together by combining whatever I had left in the fridge.  Yesterday, I had a delicious salmon and creme fraiche tartine at Tartinery, which just opened up inside Hudson Eats.  I love the combination of anything creamy with salmon, and I had just picked up from Gravlax from my neighborhood bagel shop.  I also happened to have some mascarpone in the fridge- so an idea popped into my head to make a pasta dish inspired by that tartine!  I apologize that I didn't take any pictures of this dish while I was making it, but it comes together so quickly and easily, I don't think you'll need the pics!



Ingredients:
1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup white wine vinegar (white wine is preferable if you have it)
zest and juice of 2 lemons
4 or 5 basil leaves, roughly torn
1/2 package spaghetti or linguine
3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
2-3 slices Gravlax (smoked salmon)
1 cup of pasta water (reserve after the pasta is cooked and add to the pasta at the end if you need more moisture in the sauce)
4-5 tbs. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


Heat a large pot of salted water over high heat.  Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook to package instructions.

While the pasta is cooking,  heat 3 tbs. a large sauté pan over medium heat, then add the onions.  Cook until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic.  Add the white wine vinegar and reduce by half.  Add in the kale and half the lemon juice and zest, and sauté in pan for about 3 minutes.  Turn the heat to low, and add in the Greek yogurt and mascarpone.  

Drain the pasta, reserving a cup of the pasta water.  Turn the heat on the sauté pan off, and add the pasta to the kale mixture.  Using tongs, combine the kale mixture with the pasta.  Add in the remaining lemon zest and juice, basil, remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.  

Serve the pasta in bowls, then add the salmon on top.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment